Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2020 16:35:11 +0200
From:      Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@NLnetLabs.nl>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unbound and (isc) dhcpd startup order

 "Rodney W. Grimes" writes:

 > Um, yea, I guess the bigger question is why is the port different
 > than the base system in this respect?

The the unbound port existed years before it was decided that unbound
should replace bind in the base system.

If you want the port to change, send a PR for the port so I won't forget t=
his.

 > I would expect unbound to be the same, as unbound_local in almost
 > every respect, especially with respect to its startup sequencing,
 > providers and requires.

Not really. For a start, the port has a different default configuration
then the one in base.

 > > > I seen no problem in adding a BEFORE: NETWORKING to the port, cover=
ing
 > > > a larger number of casses than your narrow BEFORE: dhcpd.

I don't see a problem either.
 =

 > > > =

 > > > I do not see anything in the base system that uses unbound or local=
_unbound
 > > > service name, so this looks like it could be straightforward, thoug=
h there
 > > > may be some ports that have use of this token.
 > > > =

 > > > For the blue bikeshed I find that "server" is just noise in the tok=
en
 > > > and that "dns" already has "s" for system, so just "dns" is good wi=
th me :-)
 > > =

 > > That's a good point.

I don't agree. The term dns is too generic. People are often running
dfferent nameservers on the same machine, as example: authoritative
and nonauthoritative (e.g. nsd & unbound).

Regards,

	jaap