Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:27:52 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        vova@fbsd.ru
Cc:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is GNOME 2.7/2.8 stable to you?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:38:01 +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
wrote:

> В пн, 13/09/2004 в 22:02 -0500, Jeremy Messenger пишет:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I haven't seen many report of GNOME 2.7/2.8 for weeks/months, so I am
>> wondering how does it goes with all of you? I think, this 2.7
>> development
>> is the most stable version that I have tested, which I couldn't find any
>> more bugs lately beside gstreamer. I tried to use it as normal Windows
>> user such as avoid the CLI and done all in GUI while I don't have any
>> access to CVS, seems like everything work very well. The gstreamer is
>> only
>> an app that is annoying to me, which it isn't that stable when I run the
>> nautilus in my movies directory.
>>
>> If one of you find the bugs, then go ahead reply to this thread. I want
>> see those reports, because the final is coming soon.
>
> 3-4 day old gnome-2.7 was not too stable,

Uh, 3-4 day old is always need to allow the tarballs to catch up. Once,
the tarballs are up and it ran fine. The 2.7 development is doing the
better job than what was in 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5.

> anyway upgrading to latest
> version and will report results,
> (what was wrong for me so far:
>    gnumeric show error on startup /already reported here/,

Read here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnumeric-list/2004-May/msg00016.html

>    System -> New Session does not work - it make screen white and all
> 	  If I do Ctrl-Alt-F1 then back - old session is locked

See marcus's reply.

>    evolution-1.5.94.1_1 -> on print it paused for about 20 sec then show
> print     dialogue, if I select Paper Size it paused forever ..., but if
> I click print - it prints

Dunno, don't have any printer here.

> )
>
> while upgrade there is a bit warnings on gnomevfs2:

harmless.

Cheers,
Mezz

> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  Found saved configuration for gnomevfs2-2.8.0
>>> gnome-vfs-2.8.0.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist
> in /usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2.
>>> Attempting to fetch from
> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-
> vfs/2.8/.
> gnome-vfs-2.8.0.tar.bz2                       100% of 1817 kB  135 kBps
> 00m00s
> ===>  Extracting for gnomevfs2-2.8.0
> ... snip ...
> ===>  Configuring for gnomevfs2-2.8.0
>> pkg_info: no packages match pattern(s)
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g
> wheel
>> /usr/ports/devel/gnomevfs2/work/gnome-vfs-2.8.0/missing: Unknown `--
> run' option
>> Try `/usr/ports/devel/gnomevfs2/work/gnome-vfs-2.8.0/missing --help'
> for more information
> configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
>

>> Cheers,
>> Mezz