Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:34:12 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Terminal wars: cons25 vs. linux (don't forget vt100)

Well, the *only* thing Im gonna mention here is the colored ls thing.  Why
is it that in the 3.3 version of FBSD did they remove linuxls from the
packages?  Im using colorls now but its not that great when you ls -al off
and you see the unequivocal escape sequences around your listed files.

</rant>
Jim

At 04:53 PM 12/9/99 +0600, Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:

>Hi!
>
>What really pisses me off in FreeBSD (well, this is actually the one of
>the very few things that badly implemented in FBSD, I guess ;-) is the
>terminals issue.
>
>I've posted a message some time ago about crappy Midnight Commander
>behaviour unser FreeBSD (TERM = cons25) -- Ctrl-O didn't work, Shifted
>functional keys, and others neither did.  Apparently, this is not too
>interesting for many people (however, I can't understand one who switched
>from Linux to FreeBSD, and neglets sucky terminal support in FBSD), since
>I didn't get a decent answer.  But people, lets face it: we take Red Hat
>Linux rigth out the box, and everything works perfectly: colored ls,
>midnight with all the features working, and even when I telnet to another
>linux box, with TERM=vt100, I get all characters drawn correctly (I'm from
>Russia, so there are often some problems with different encodings and
>fonts, but here -- no), russian chars + frame chars (in mc), color....  In
>vt100, in telnet!
>
>Now let's take a look at FreeBSD.   First of all, no --color option of
>ls.  Strange....  Ok, moving on.  Midnight lacks some functionality
>(actually, I've contacted MC main author, and he told me that MC designed
>for linux, and there are some code that assumes you're running linux).
>Still, I'm not satisfied.  Would you be?  I don't think so.  Not quite.
>
>Ok, I try telnetting to my FreeBSD box.  What?!?!  Black and white
>midnight?  While in Linux everything works?  I don't understand it.
>
>Terminals issue is probably the one that needs to be impreved in FreeBSD.
>
>And, why to have cons25, cons30, cons43, cons50 ?!?!?!
>
>Hope my letter will be considered.
>
>With all due respect,
>
>./danfe

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"