Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 15:21:54 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD3.0-BETA crash!

On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:57:17AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > And lo and behold I discover that my ffs_softdep.c is a copy and not
> > a symlink!  Oops. (bows head in shame).
>
> Amazing what you can find when you have a stack trace, eh?

Miraculous :)  (I hit control C on windows 98 the other night an the whole
system fell over!  No chances of finding out what happened on that platform!)

Unfortunately looks like I'm plagued with them this week.  Another 3.0-BETA
system froze last night.  Upon a cold boot and investigation of messages
the following transpires:

Oct  2 02:01:21 gandalf /kernel: devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count is <
 0!
Oct  3 02:01:32 gandalf /kernel: devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count is <
 0!

Isn't it nice that an operating system panics so verbosely, although we should
probably add a kernel option:
	option	PANIC_BLUESCREEN	# Support for the uninitiated to
					# make them feel at home.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser