Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:57:41 -0400
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
To:        Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new laptop, no sound in spite of driver attaching

> [...]
>> and no idea where to search for a solution
>>=20
>> FreeBSD laptop.wojtek.intra 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #2: Mon Apr
>> 30 13:35:54 CEST 2018
>> root@laptop.wojtek.intra:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/laptop  amd64
>>=20
>>=20
>> in dmesg
>> hdac0: <Intel (0x2284) HDA Controller> mem 0x91410000-0x91413fff irq 22
>> at device 27.0 on pci0
>> hdacc0: <Realtek ALC282 HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac0
>> hdaa0: <Realtek ALC282 Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc0
>> pcm0: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 20 and 25 on hdaa0
>> pcm1: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 33 and 18 on hdaa0
>> hdacc1: <Intel (0x2883) HDA CODEC> at cad 2 on hdac0
>> hdaa1: <Intel (0x2883) Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc1
>> pcm2: <Intel (0x2883) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 5 on hdaa1
>>=20
>>=20
>> tried to change hw.snd.default_unit to 0, 1 or 2 - no sound in any case.
>>=20
>> mixer when default_unit is 0
>>=20
>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  65:65
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer mix      is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
>> Recording source: mic
>>=20
>>=20
>> mixer when default_unit is 1
>>=20
>> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer rec      is currently set to  37:37
>> Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer monitor  is currently set to  56:56
>>=20
>> mixer when default_unit is 2
>>=20
>> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>>=20
>> this is HP 250 G5 laptop
>=20
> HDA is apparently very difficult for vendors to get right.  Linux has
> thousands of lines of vendor- and model-specific patches to fix it.
> Start here:
>=20
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.=
>=20
> If you're lucky, you'll find a patch for your laptop or a similar laptop
> that has the same problem(s).  The next step is to figure out how to
> express the patch in FreeBSD's driver.
>=20
> Hopefully, someone will take interest in porting many of Linux's HDA
> patches to FreeBSD.  Sound is probably one of the top three reasons
> people fail to run FreeBSD on their laptop.

What are the other two? Graphics support and easy management of WiFi?

I hate to say that, but those are the two that kept me from adopting Gentoo =
FreeBSD on my laptop when I wanted to install it several years ago. The inte=
l sandy bridge graphics support was new enough that it had not really made i=
t downstream to Gentoo FreeBSD and the lack of a network manager equivalent f=
or doing easy connection and disconnection to WiFi networks from a BSD userl=
and was a headache. :/