Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:31:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Michael Hughes <mhughes@logroad.bridge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, zach@staff.onmilwaukee.com
Subject:   Re: 3 NICs in 1 server

Michael, thanks for the offer to help.  Here is the info you requested.

http://marge.onmilwaukee.com/images/network-layout.jpg

Here is the layout we have.  We are going to use the fxp NIC cards to do
all of the networking between the database and web server machines.

mysql-fxp0 talks to apache-fxp0 (192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.10)
mysql-fxp1 talks to apache-fxp1 (192.168.1.21 to 192.168.1.11)

These ports are connected with crossover cables.  We believe due to that
direct line it is not possible for mysql-fxp0 to talk directly to
apache-fxp1.

After we have been looking at it here are our initial ideas.

On the apache side, where the client will talk to the database, we will
route all traffic to mysql-fxp0 to talk over the apache-fxp0 device.  We
are seeing that this is done using route or routed.  We just have to learn
to do it.  Then we can have the database handler randomly select an IP
when it is creating new handles, essentially doing a 50/50 split between
interfaces allowing us to use both 100mb ports.  We think this will
maximize the traffic over the two ports.

On the mysql side we can use natd to do address redirection to the IP
which mysql is using.  That is something we are already doing for our
private network.  This redirection will simply be isolated to one machine.

If you know the specifics of how this would work that information would be
very helpful.  And if you have a better way to do all this, that would
be even better.

Thanks for the help,

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com