Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:58 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I delete /usr/src ?

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> greetings,
> I cvsupped from 4.7-release to 4.7-stable.  Followed all the steps to do
> that.
> I need to reclaim some disk space.  Can I delete the files under /usr/src?
> Currently it's consuming roughly 340 MB of space ?
>
> thanks,
> Darryl

You can delete /usr/src, and also /usr/obj, but next time you want to
do an upgrade I guess it will take longer to get all the sources. If
you can manage by only delete /usr/obj it would be the best for you,
if upgrading in the future.

Also, if deleting /usr/src, and hence /usr/src/sys too, you can not
compile your kernel if you change any hardware.

Best regards,
Paul