Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:00:57 -0200 (BRST)
From:      "Giovanni P. Tirloni" <tirloni@techie.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        vev@michvhf.com
Subject:   Re: icmp-response bandwidth limit?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> Jan 20 18:44:48 chives /kernel: icmp-response bandwidth limit 230/200 pps
>
> Is someone trying to pingflood me or something?

Someone is sending too many icmp requests to your machine and the kernel
isn't answering that cause you've ICMP_BANDLIM enabled in your
kernel. This option tells the system not to reply to such requests when it
reaches the limit (which is, by default, 200 packets per second).

To change it just set the proper variable with sysctl(8), like this:

   [root@ttyp2:~]# sysctl net.inet.icmp.icmplim
   net.inet.icmp.icmplim: 200
   [root@ttyp2:~]# sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.icmplim=300
   net.inet.icmp.icmplim: 200 -> 300

or disable that option in the kernel (which isn't good, BTW).

Hope it helps,

  Giovanni P. Tirloni
  tirloni@techie.com