Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:27:31 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulator and ldconfig at startup (in 3.4?)

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> > > If noone objects, I will add a run of ldconfig to our linux(8) script.
> >
> > Forgive me, but I'm not quite seeing how this addresses the problem
> > related in paragraph one?
>
> Package foo installs Linux shared lib libbar.so while Linux emulator
> is not loaded. ldconfig will fail. This is harmless for now, since
> Linux binaries cannot be executed anyway.

What if other Linux binaries are executed as part of package install?
These also fail because the Linuxulator is not loaded. The result is an
incomplete installation, just as for the ldconfig case.

> I'd like to run
>   /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig /usr/lib /lib /usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/lib
> from the linux(8) script just as FreeBSD's ldconfig is run from
> /etc/rc.

First of all, don't specify any paths. Any non-standard directories
(which are /lib and /usr/lib) should be added to
/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf.

Secondly, I don't really like this but can't see a better way at the
moment to handle this. I'll remain indifferent...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/