Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:16:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dtc@merlin.ee.swin.oz.au (Douglas Thomas Crosher)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xlock: caught signal 8 while running galaxy mode.

> > Floating point switching is lazy-bound.
> > This is a good thing, and it is why things are the way they are: most
> > programs do not use the FPU, and should not have to incurr the overhead
> > simply because some minority of programs *do* use the FPU.
>
> There would be no additional overhead in passing the FPU status word
> as the signal code on a SIGFPE. If the application needs to
> save/restore the FPU state it can do so, other applications avoid the
> overhead.

I agree with your sigcontext argument, for what that's worth.  That's
not really at issue; I can't see how anyone could disagree with it.
But standing down to that level from the original posting about the
"galaxy" screen saver is not really an option.

The problem, which is what's also being discussed, is in knowing
whether or not a given program will, at any point in the current
quantum, make an FPU call.

Short of flagging the object in the complier if FPU instructions are
generated, and then propagating the flag to the binary from the objects
at link time, there's no way to know this for sure, short of either
assuming *all* binaries do, and taking the FPU hit on all context
switches, or trapping the first instruction reference.  I think we
can agree from previous arguments that simply masking the exceptions
so that they aren't seen on the lazy reporting used by the FPU to
maintain low latency is the wrong thing to do.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.