Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:44:36 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual P2

>I have just recently upgraded my FreeBSD Box to a dual P2 266 and I have
>set up the SMP in the kernel. When I do a large compile I was told to run
>the -j2 switch on make and that would use both procs but I am not noticing
>that. Sometimes is replies don't know how to make j. Am I missing
>something? If there is something I can do to make it faster please let me
>know.
>
>Thanks, Adam

It sounds to me like you're either trying to compile something that
requires a target and not giving it one, or your syntax is off with the -j
option.

Don't know exactly what command you're typing but typically on a dual proc
machine a kernel would be built something like:

make depend
make -j8
make install

or the world might be built:

make -j8 buildworld
make installworld

It is generally recommended to start about 4 threads on a single proc and
6-10 on a dual, to make most efficient use of the processor and IO systems.
 There shouldn't be a space between the j and the number, BTW.  Or, at
least I never put a space there.

If none of this helps, maybe you could paste in exactly what commands
you're typing and what error messages it's giving you..

Keep your stick on the ice,

Tom Embt