Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:36:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of maxsockets.

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> We still need to cap the number of sockets somehow, as it would be bad for
> sockets to consume all memory.  If you want to move the socket limit to
> someplace where it can be modified via a sysctl, that'd be great.  As
> you're going through and UMAing everything, I think it'd be best if you
> kept the limits the same for now.

I have kept the current limits in place, but I think that it's somewhat
ugly to have this policy enforced in the allocator where it is hard to
adjust with a sysctl.  Perhaps maxsockets could stay but become run time
adjustable.

Is there any case where we will have lots of pcbs w/o sockets?  If so, all
of the limits checking can be done in the socket code and the pcb code can
completely forget about it.

> Once everything's UMA'd, then we can develop new sizing parameters.

Everything has been UMA'd other than MD code, so I'm working on making the
system take advantage of it.

> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

Thanks!
Jeff