Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:31:25 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Presario 1825, the visit to CompUSA

David O'Brien wrote:

> > installed on it seemed to list it as an Intel chipset, but when I called
> > Compaq they could not confirm this.
>
> Take a pair of boot floppies there and test it.  :-)
> Once you get to sysinstall, just use <scroll-lock> and the arrow keys to
> see if it was probed as "fxp0".
>
> I do know the new Sony Vaio z505's have a built-in 10/100 Ethernet using
> an Intel chipset.  FreeBSD finds it just fine as "fxp0" since it nicely
> sits on the PCI bus, just as if you had an Intel Ethernet Express Pro/100
> installed in a desktop.

	At first I thought that was kind of a funny idea, but then I thought,
hey what have I got to loose?  So I made a pair of boot floppies and
made my way down to CompUSA.  I first made sure they still had The
FreeBSD Power Pack for sale in case I had to point out that they sale
this OS I wanted to use.  There where two on the shelf.

	I ended up having to talk to the "hardware manager", I asked him if I
could use the boot floppies to see if it detected the NIC.  He looked at
me for about 30 seconds like I was some freak, then said if it blows up
I just bought it.  Well I figured that was pretty safe so he unlocked
the notebook ( the only way to get to the floppy ) and I fired up the
boot floppies.  It detected the NIC as de0 so I'm not sure if it's an
Intel card or not, the only thing odd about the detection was it listed
some sort of EPROM checksum error, I didn't think to write it down.  So
it looks like FreeBSD will be fine with that nic ( at least that's what
I hoping since it detected it ok ).

	The "hardware manager" then proceeded to talk more than needed, telling
me how he finished building a firewall at his house using Windows 95 on
a P75 w/ 40meg of ram for his ADSL connection.  He was pretty proud of
himself so I didn't have the heart to tell him that I've got a 486/33
w/24 meg of ram doing the same thing with my dialup connection ( still
waiting for ADSL or cable ) with FreeBSD and it probably would run
circles around his "firewall" :-)  He then would not let up with the
comment that the OS looks like DOS.  I tried to explain that there is
nothing of DOS in this kernel, yes the install in text based, but text
based != DOS.  I don't think he got it.  Oh well.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu