Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:00:19 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest bt848 code

Hi,

> Hi Louis,
>
> Just get the bt848 distribution from Steve's web page:
> http://freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/Bt848.html
>
> Then apply the posted patch.
>
> If you have any problems with that please let us know.
> >From The Desk Of "Louis A. Mamakos" :
> > I had to add back in some of the meteor ioctl's so that the fxtv program
> > would continue to work OK.

I didn't realize that I had removed any ioctl's, thought I only added new ones.
I grabbed the tarball from the web page and indeed I did remove the METEOR
versions, pass the pointy hat this way!  When I get that machine up again I
will restore them.  I haven't rebuilt fxtv in awhile so I didn't notice
my fubar (how embarassing).

Unfortunately grabbing the latest web page driver and adding Amancio's
patch file will make xtvremote happy and eliminate the freeze problem in the
driver, but will not help fxtv compile till fxtv is updated to use the new
BT848 specific ioctl()s.  This is the correct solution as the bt848 specific
ioctls do things "the right way" for the hardware, while the METEOR versions
compromise by loosing some precision (and the chroma call is fairly hosed
as the bt848 sets U and V independantly with different ranges while the
METEOR version puts the "one" value into both regs).

Long term we need to develop an API for this stuff so an app doesn't need
to know about the hardware specifics,

--
Steve Passe	| powered by