Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:57:15 -0600
From:      Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zfs Guide

Joe B wrote:
> Sorry for all the questions but i want to start somehwere, the forums
> take a while for me to get approved but it seems very friendly here.

I like to think freebsd-questions is also a friendly place for
questions too! :-)

> So when i installed freeBSD about 5 days ago i noticed that it auto did
> ZFS pool and everything didn't know why but i went with it.

That is good!  It's a good default option IMNHO.

> Trying to understand it i looked online for some guides and the zfs
> fs seems very intresting, snapshots, compression everything. It
> seems that it was really made for two drives not one. i kinda
> understand if my internal hdd goes out then i would have a backup.

Because ZFS is often talked about in terms of high reliability the
authors would not want to lead you astray thinking that you always get
high reliability with ZFS even if using only a single device.  You can
see how someone might be disappointed if that single device failed,
they lost data, and then were upset that ZFS did not protect them.
Hence there are disclaimers appearing that ZFS can't save you if there
is only one device and it fails.  Such as on a laptop with a single
SSD.

But that does not mean that ZFS does not work well on a single device.
Far from it!  ZFS is excellent on a laptop with a single SSD!

AFAICS if the system has more than 4GB of RAM then personally I
install a ZFS file system.  That includes most recent laptops.  But if
I were setting up a 256MB RPi on an SD card then I would likely choose
UFS for the smaller memory footprint.  Hopefully this makes sense?

Also if I were setting up a VM for learning then I might use a 1GB
virtual machine and in that case what's the harm if I were to overload
the system?  I would also use ZFS.  It's not a production system with
a critical uptime need for a web site or something.  If it is just me
using it for a test or debug or learning then that's fine too.

> Currently setup a VM with freebsd and want to test zfs. should i make
> two disk hard drives in the VM to test or should i be able to just play
> with one ?

As long as you are aware of the lack of hardware reliability in the
case of a hardware failure then there is no problems using a single
SSD in a laptop with ZFS.  Or in a VM.  Go for it!

It's not that it creates a problem it is only a matter of setting
people's expectations which matter.  Personally I am addicted to the
feature set of ZFS and now find myself wanting them when they are not
available to me.  So perhaps the biggest danger is that once you start
using ZFS that you won't want to do without those features again
either. :-)

Bob