Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 and alpha DS10

"hmmm" Since this works for me, I'm assuming it must be a problem
specific to the tsunami.  I don't suppose either of you has an X log
from your attempt to start the X server?  Even starting it remotely
and saving the output of your ssh session would be helpful.

Anyway, do you see it reporting ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION*** in the
log?  If so, I've seen a similar problem on my UP1000 where the X
server was too smart and tried to remap the AGP video card into space
reserved for something else..  Its usually bad news when the X server
tries to change the mapping.

One blind shot in the dark is to change
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsdResource.c's
xf86PciBusAccWindowsFromOS(void) RANGE to allow everything, like
Linux's:

Eg, make it look like this:

resPtr
xf86PciBusAccWindowsFromOS(void)
{
    resPtr ret = NULL;
    resRange range;

    /*
     * Only allow the upper half of the pci memory range to be used
     * for allocation. The lower half includes magic regions for DMA.
     * XXX this is not right for XP1000's and similar where we use the

     * region 0x40000000-0xbfffffff for DMA but this only matters if
     * the bios screws up the pci region mappings.
     */
    RANGE(range, 0x00000000, 0xffffffff, ResExcMemBlock);
    ret = xf86AddResToList(ret, &range, -1);

    RANGE(range, 0x00000000, 0xffffffff, ResExcIoBlock);
    ret = xf86AddResToList(ret, &range, -1);
    return ret;
}

Let me know if that helps.  I'll be out of town all next week, so if
we can iterate about this over the weekend that would be great.

Drew