Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:28:32 -0800
From:      "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem pulling particular directory from CVS

> setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs"
> cvs login
> cvs co src/contrib
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
>> Nothing hidden, totally forthright.
>
> Except that's a different error than the one you said before.  8-).

No. I posted this same question at least 4 times (although sometimes to
questions and sometimes to current). The last time I left out the
src/contrib/cvs connection, but that's only because it seemed redundant. My
fault. I've always reported the same error though.

> This particular error usually when you are doing this
> as root, and have an overly-anal umask set.  To correct it, you
> should delete the subtree from that point, and at an upper level,
> type:
>
> cvs update -d
>
> The subdirectories that would have been included in the original
> checkout will be brought in and created ("-d"), without you
> needing to repeat the "checkout".

That doesn't help. And I'm not running as root, either.

>>> Probably you can get around the problem by updating your 'cvs',
>> Running 'cvs -v' on FreeBSD 4.7:
>> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1-FreeBSD (client/server)
>>
>> This version works.
> I still find it hard to believe you aren't using a particular tag;
> the other procedure outlined above should work for you with the
> old CVS against the error message you are getting now.

Well, believe it. It couldn't be more simple. Start with a totally blank
working directory, do (with cvs 1.0 from FreeBSD 4.5):

setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs"
cvs login
cvs co src/contrib
and the checkout stops on src/contrib/cvs

Plain and simple. Period. Nothing hidden.

> One possibility is that the source tree you are doing has a stick
> tag set?

I don't know. I am not the owner or a developer, so I can't see the source
tree except by checking it out, which I can't.

> In any case, if you have a workaround, you're probably more
> interested in the fact it works than in why.  8-) 8-).

Not true, I'm very interested in knowing what the problem is. It's true that
I'm happy to have a workaround (for which I thank you), but I'd sure like to
know why this happened in the first place.

Paul

--
Paul A. Scott
mailto:pscott@skycoast.us