Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 96 01:18:53 GMT
From:      tedm@agora.rdrop.com
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 RELEASE, Adaptec 1542CP and Toshiba CDROM stat33 error at boot

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
>james@socrates.demon.co.uk (James M. Bridson) wrote:
>
>> I recently managed to destroy my aged 1542B and the closest
>> replacement I could get at the time was a new 1542CP. Since
>> the board swap FreeBSD 2.1 RELEASE does not recognise the
>> Toshiba CDROM drive. At boot I get the message aha0:target_stat33
>> at the point where the probe used to find the CDROM drive (at
>> SCSI id 5). All the hard disks are still found OK. I have
>> device cd in my config file and have rebuilt the kernel just
>> in case something got corrupted but it is 100% reproduceable.
>> It did work with the 1542B and same kernel config.
>
>Remember: FreeBSD is not supported in Usenet.
>
>I've just verified in the logs, FreeBSD 2.1R is supposed to handle the
>`CP' correctly.  So please, either ask your question at
>freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, or submit a problem report for it (send-pr).
>
>--
>cheers, J"org
>
>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

I answered him via email and he responded with it fixed.  Disabling synchronous
negotiation got the CD running again.  Obviously a firmware change in the
1540CP didn't go down well with the Toshiba.  I didn't have the heart to tell
him he probably killed his disk throughput by doing so. :-)

This is one of these "find another DOS/Windoze machine to `swap' the CD with"
kind of answers.  With 6x speed CD's going for $70 it isin't worth attempting to
get a new ROM chip for an old CD from the manufacturer. (assuming they
even bothered to fix their firmware to begin with)  I don't know if the 1540C
supports firmware upgrades, if it had flash on it that might be another route.

Ted