Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:48:06 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if mips gets dropped

--JSkcQAAxhB1h8DcT

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 03:00:12PM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:31:00AM +0200, Janne Johansson wrote:
> >Seeing how dropping mips is suggested (and I don't have anything to
> >say about the actual decision in itself),
> >https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arch/2021-September/000068.ht=
ml
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I've asked on that list to clarify if they mean just mips or if they're
> also including mips64.

As Warner followed up on -arch, we'll be removing both 32 and 64-bit.

> A few years ago I tried getting freebsd onto a mips64 (octeon) device
> (it's an edgerouter lite 3) but failed. I found it was supported more
> completely on OpenBSD and installation was relatively straightforward,
> and the instructions are very thorough.
>=20
> On OpenBSD it's supported so well it'll do binary upgrades.
>=20
> Regarding "old" hardware: this device really isn't "old". I think I got
> it about 5 years ago. It's had OpenBSD running on it for the past 3-4
> years or so and it is *so stable* I'm very happy with it.

This is definitely the route I'd suggest people take.  OpenBSD has a
much more active port.  The closest ours has had to active maintenance
has been from the CHERI project and our focus has not been on router
platforms.  We've been willing to accept hacks to make the platform
semi-usable that other maintainers didn't like and only run on FPGA
implementations of CPUS and qemu rather than on commercial hardware.

-- Brooks

--JSkcQAAxhB1h8DcT

--JSkcQAAxhB1h8DcT--