Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:58:47 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: destroying tunN

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 08:47:10PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
> first off, why don't if_tun devices destroy themselves when the owner
> closes the device?

Historical behavior.  I suspect many people would be very suprised it
they automaticly vanished, but there's some argument that's the right
thing to do.

> But... aslo, why can't I 'unplumb' an unused tunN device with
> ifconfig?

Because they aren't hooked to the interface cloning system since their
auto creation code predates it.  This should be fixed, but is more
difficult than for a staticly compiled interface due to the existing
cloning code.

-- Brooks

--=20

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk