Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 10:57:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Yarema <yds@ingress.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Try reducing NFS_MUIDHASHIZ"

On Thu, 28 May 1998 at 21:22:00 -0400, Yarema wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 1998 at 13:42:16 -0400, Larry S. Marso wrote:
>>> I get the following message during boot up:
>>>
>>> May 25 13:35:35 second /kernel: struct nfsmount bloated (>512bytes)
>>> May 25 13:35:35 second /kernel: Try reducing NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ
>>>
>>> Note that, after a few minutes copying files as a NFS client from another
>>> FreeBSD NFS server box, the client box locks up.
>>>
>>> I cant find this documented anywhere.  What do I reduce exactly?
>>
>> What version of FreeBSD are you running?  So far, we've only seen this
>> on -CURRENT, and we don't discuss -CURRENT on this mailing list.
>>
>> It's been fixed in -CURRENT.
>

> OK, I've been a similar problem on 2.2.6.  If I nfs mount /usr/ports
> across a Ethernet segment and try to make any port the client will
> lock up. I could reproduce this every time by doing a make reinstall
> on a precompiled ssh port. Apparently the ssh port insists on
> getting relinked during the reinstall and causes the NFS client to
> lock up. However dong an NFS install from the same machine usually
> works though.

That's a whole different problem.  This one here was a warning about
wasting 512 bytes of kernel memory.

Can you give more details about the problem?  What machines are you
using?  What Ethernet boards?  Can you perform any other access when
NFS locks up?  Are you using the GENERIC 2.2.6 kernel, or have you
changed anything?

Greg