Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:47:13 -0800
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 01:02:23PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Interestingly, i noticed recently that the response time on usa.net
> seemed much slower.  It appears consistently so, either by ppp
> connection or by network/T1 line.  A few months ago, netcraft showed
> that they were running FreeBSD.  Guess what they are running
> now? Yup... SOlaris.  I dropped them a line saying i noticed the speed
> difference.

Why do you think a lot of people call it Slowlaris?  Another illustration:
A group at work uses a Sun box as a license server; it's also the only
machine in that room (bunch of HP-UX stripped-down workstations) with
a CD-reader attached (Hey this is state government, OK?  Spend the
taxpayers money on 4 Origin 2000's and a .5TB(!) disk array to run
web servers, that's OK, but get CD's for workstations?  No, too
expensive!), and thus the only machine they can read their GIS data
on.  Old Sun CD finally dies.  I tell them they need to order a
new one, give them the specs.  New reader arrives:  It's a 36X drive,
from some PC place, not Sun, It *is* SCSI, though, Hook it up, probe-scsi
recognizes it correctly,  Solaris gets overruns, tries to negotiate,
fails, etc.  Hook it to an identically configured, hardware-wise, Sun
running OpenBSD (on my desk, natch), works great. Hook it to a different
Sun running Slowlaris, errors abound.  Several other admins
I know report similar things.  The Slowlaris drivers simply can't keep
up,  So now they're using the drive I originally had on *my* machine
(a Sun drive), and I'm using their new drive.  Happy ending!

I suspect, when Sun releases the source for Slowlaris, that we will hear
the sound of a lot of hackers getting physically sick from reading it.

--
Dann Lunsford       The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
dann@greycat.com    is that men of good will do nothing.  --  Cicero