Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:40:39 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc_r Makefile src/lib/libpthread Makefile

On Friday 30 January 2004 10:00, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:13:17AM -0800, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > >   Log:
> > >   Change libkse back to libpthread and make it the default
> > >   thread library for i386, amd64, and ia64.  For alpha
> > >   and sparc64 the library is not changed and remains libkse,
> > >   and links are installed so that libpthread -> libc_r.
> >
> > What is the statement and plans on making the libkse->libpthread
> > change on the Tier-1 Alpha and Sparc64 platforms?
>
> We need some alpha and sparc64 gurus to help out.  If libkse
> isn't working on those platforms by 5.3-release, they risk
> losing Tier-1 status.

This is not a tenable situation; sparc64 is supposed to be our reference
64-bit implementation.  While it seems amd64 is quickly overtaking this
position, we have a problem in that there is no 64-bit platform that
currently seems to support the full range of FreeBSD features.

Can we have a volunteer or two from each of the alpha and sparc64 camps
please coordinate with Daniel and the rest of the KSE squad to at least
summarize what needs to be done here?

I can't offer any help on the code at this time, but I do have an ultra5
workstation I'm willing to send to anyone who can help with the work.

Wes Peters                                              wes@softweyr.com