Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:29:35 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.2 kernel security / httpd issue

------=_NextPart_000_02D2_01C05A53.DA1134C0

------=_NextPart_001_02D3_01C05A53.DA1134C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_02D3_01C05A53.DA1134C0--

------=_NextPart_000_02D2_01C05A53.DA1134C0
	filename="4.2 kernel security - httpd issue.txt"

Would someone suggest where to find information on the various kernel =
security levels available in 4.2 RELEASE ? I'm having trouble getting =
apache to start ..... it keeps giving error messages saying "httpd could =
not start" & fully qualified domain name could not be found" (the =
machine does have a public IP & FQDN)=20

I don't recall having to mess with httpd.conf in earlier versions of =
FreeBSD, so I'm wondering if maybe the kernel security level is somehow =
responsible .=20

It looks like ipfw is installed, posibly by default when the higher =
security levels are requested=20
(theres what looks like an "ipfw" executable), "ipfw' spits out a page =
full of stuff, but theres nothing
about "ipfw" in "rc.conf

I can't find anything that looks like a config file (maybe not relevant =
to ipfw ??), "man ipfw" doesn't help because its pretty vague, & the =
handbook isn't much better.

I've tried running "ipfw -a", "ipfw -t", "ipfw -N" plus combinations =
thereof, but they don't appear to do anything.=20

rc.conf has kern_securelevel=3D"2" & kern_securelevel_enable=3D"YES"
------=_NextPart_000_02D2_01C05A53.DA1134C0--