Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:03:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        kate@gutatelecom.ru
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible problem in threads lib in -STABLE ?

In local.freebsd-stable you write:

>This is my third attempt at getting help, after trying freebsd-bugs and
>freebsd-hackers mailing lists. Folks, please, do have a look.

I'm certain nobody is ignoring you just to be mean -- your problem
looks sort-of complex... :-)

>I was pursuing a strange bug which causes mysqld to hang (that is not to
>accept any new connections) on FreeBSD 4.1 after working for some time
>properly and MySQL folks suggested that there may be some pecularity in
>FreeBSD threads library. I cvsup'ed FreeBSD on Nov 2 (after the code freeze
>I presume). The problem persists.

>Just tell me, is it normal that an app should be stuck in _thread_sys_poll
>when clients are trying to connect to it ?

Probably not, unless it is no longer polling the fd that clients
connect to.

If it possible for you to list the exact steps necessary to recreate
this state, chances of someone being able to help you out would
increase greatly.

Ideally, write a shellscript that can start with a fresh install of
mysqld, populate it with some data and run clients until the server
hangs.

In the meantime, you could look at the array of pollfds used as
argument to _thread_sys_poll():
	 - Are there suspiciously few?
	 - How do they correlate to the output of "fstat"/"sockstat"?
	 - What about the file descriptor limit?
	   (Check with "cat /proc/$PID/rlimit" for example)
	 - One of the descriptors should be the socket listening for
	   clients -- is it there?
	 - Etc...

>Please bear with me as I know nothing of threads programming :(.

Sadly, the same is true for a lot of people programming with threads.

     $.02,
     /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com