Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:16:45 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        Tan Juay Kwang <jk.tan@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crypt(3)

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 03:45:10PM +0800, Tan Juay Kwang wrote:

You seem to have MD5 encryption installed instead of DES. If you look at
your libcrypt.a, you'll see it is a link to libscrypt.a. Use sysinstall
to install the DES library from a non-US mirror of FreeBSd, or from
CDROM, if you have that. Then your libcrypt.a will be a link to
libdescrypt.a, and you'll get DES encrypted passwords.

> Hi, I have a freebsd 3.2 system and is having some problem with the
> crypt(3) function. According to the man page, if I were to supply a 2 byte
> salt, it will return the historical 13 byte string. However, it seems like
> the one in 3.2 is not doing what is said in the man pages?
>
> Sample code and output :-
>
>   printf("%s\n",crypt("a","_1234abcd"));
>   printf("%s\n", crypt("a","ab"));
>
> Output:
> $1$_1234abc$zyNh.miJty685SsEEDPDT0
> $1$ab$NM4FR4Dl/CzoTSJTd3YJ3.
>
> Or is my way of using crypt(3) wrong in some way?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Juay Kwang

See complete headers for more info