Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 20:48:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jin Soo, Kim" <ccastjk@prism.gatech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration help!!

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Jin Soo, Kim wrote:
> I know i sent this before.. but it was from the wrong server..
> I need help with this configuration.. it won't compile
> thanx in advance..

What are your error messages. Why won't it compile? Do you have the full
'/usr/src/sys' directory on your machine?

>From the file you included it seems that you have missed a bit.
The most glaring error is that you have options for four cpu types. You
need only one of these entries. If you have a standard pentium use this.
cpu		"I586_CPU"

Without knowing about your system it is very hard to know why your
kernel won't compile. Send some error messages.

For info on compiling a custom kernel start here.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook37.html#39

Good luck,
Jason Wells

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
> #
> # For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
> # Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
> # The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
> # latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
> # <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
> #
> # An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
> # device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
> # in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
> #
> #	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.77.2.12 1997/10/18 11:03:10 joerg Exp $
>
> machine		"i386"
> cpu		"I386_CPU"
> cpu		"I486_CPU"
> cpu		"I586_CPU"