Date:      10 May 2000 22:20:41 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install network setup

Trying BSD for the first time in a year or so, a fresh install of
release 4.  I've attempted a network ftp install but can't get the
nertwork setup with the tools provided at install.

The machine has two nics installed

The install routine offers two sets of drivers, I've tried both.  The
messages on the emergecny terminal show "network unreachable" after
plugging in the numbers.

This machine is hooked to a dsl line.  Its the simple ethernet kind.

Once the approproiate numbers are inserted, including the gateway
address.  The network doesn't come up.  Looking through the boot
messages, it seems that the OS is finding the cards and reports them
both on irq 9.  I scribbled down some  system messages but can't
figure out what I wrote now.

Looks like one is found as an ed0 device, the other as dc0, both are
pci nics.  Sorry I didn't get better info, but will write it to a file
when I next boot FreeBSD.

I haven't been able to get X up either so things are a little stark
when booted.  Neither of the setup tools works at all for me.  Just
one of those nonesense circle jerks where you keep coming up with the
same useless dialog boxes.

I'm used to the way "ifconfig" displays what is setup on linux boxes,
but the BSD ifconfig seems only for setting up things not viewing them
or helping analyize.

What is a handy way to pass captured info out of the OS with no
network up? I have linux on this same machine but the filesystems
don't see each other.  Maybe a skeleton install of winXX would provide
a place to send files etc, so they can be accesss by an the online linux
machine.

I'm able to ping "localhost" and telnet "localhost" but can't get to
any of the addresses I've given to the nics.

So far I've supplied an  FQDN
An IP address that is the right one for my "static" DSL address.
The proper Gateway address and legitimate DNS servers.

All working only moments before on the same box with linux booted.

As a setup tool the install "network" stuff seems a bit sparse.  And
provides no way to get to a usable shell.  Once the install is
complete, of course shells are available but still hard to tell what
to do with ifconfig or route when the numbers don't work.

Are there other tools, maybe in "packages" directory that will make
this a little easier?   So far I can't get to packages by ftp anyway,
but am currently downloading many of them with linux.