Date:      23 Mar 1998 16:57:11 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        "Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=  <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>=?iso-8859-1?Q?=2C?=  \"Jordan K. Hubbard\"" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A day in the life of a hacker (was: Re: 'Code Freeze')

nik@iii.co.uk writes:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 1998 at 05:46:11PM +0100, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:
> > [make world story]
> You haven't merged in changes that have been made to the /etc directory.
> This may bite you later. You also haven't updated the /dev directory, which
> may also bite you later.

<FLAME>
Oh, yeah, right, I forgot that I am a complete idiot, have no idea how
FreeBSD is designed and have never made world before. Gee, sorry,
Officer. I'll be more careful in the future.

Nik, you are *not* the sole authority on 'make world'. Other people
also have brains. Other people also have a long experience with
FreeBSD. Other people sometimes even read their cvsup logs and keep
track of what has changed since their last make world so they will
know what needs to be done.
</FLAME>

As its subject line suggests, my article was *not* technical. It was
simply meant as an entertaining "success story" to cheer up Jordan
with. It was not meant to reflect precisely my procedure for 'make
world'; it doesn't even get close to telling half the story. I did not
tell about reading cvsup logs to see what had changed; I did not tell
about diffing /usr/etc/rc* to see what had changed before installing
them; I did not tell about making sure my /etc/fstab complied with the
new conventions.

> <URL:http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html>;
>
> is definitely worth a read (typos and all, I've just spotted a couple, rats).

You forgot to enclose this in <SHAMELESS PLUG> ... </SHAMELESS PLUG>.

Frankly, I find your 'make world' guide (yes, I did read it, at about
the time you first put it up) overconservative and overproblematizing,
though it contains much useful information. Did it ever occur to you
that it might actually scare people away from 'make world' instead of
teaching them how to do it?

--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");