Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:47:44 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        Darren Spruell <phatbuckett@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Imaging to new system

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 11:10 -0700, Darren Spruell wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 10:54 AM, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net> wrote:
> > I have a server running 5.4-RELEASE using RAID-5 on an Intel RAID
> > controller that I need to move to faster RAID. Is it possible to image
> > or some other way to save the current install and restore after setting
> > up the RAID or should I just plan to reinstall everything?
>
> Running dump(8) and restore(8) would allow you to back up and restore
> your system.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dump
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=restore
>
> This is typically used with tape, although you can dump to disk as well.
>
> If your data/system is critical, you ought to already have some backup
> strategy you could restore the system from to your new RAID. If not,
> you might put one in place (RAID != backups).

Yes, of course, we have data backup and can restore after reinstalling
everything, but I was looking for a complete system restore option. I'll
look into these docs, thanks. There is no tape system, so I guess the
only hope is if it can be dumped and restored from an NFS drive. From
looking at the docs, it does appear this is possible, as long as the
data in on a fs mounted by fstab?

--
Robert