Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:19:09 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sym driver, instable(?)

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:59:30PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Yoriaki FUJIMORI wrote:
>

> > I should have written this before:
> > I thought that memory DIMMs had got some problems, and tried several DIMMs.
> > The result was the same.
> > If I run the system without scsi cards I mentioned, I do not see the error.
> >
> > I do not say that the sym driver seems to be unstable on all types of
> > alpha boxes.  My experience is just on up1100.
>
> Well, I'll let the SYM author comment (he's also very knowledgeable about
> systems). Buf you're seeing "processor error corrected" messages, you're
> seeing corrected memory errors.

I can speak from expirience that they are capable to hang your system.
Usually they are corrected very well but in some rare cases the system
hangs - maybe if the correcting routine is having a ram fault as well.
That doesn't seem to be a FreeBSD problem as even the SRM may hang
because of this.
As it was a new module I already exchanged it.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de