Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:56:38 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heat sinks and coolers: grease or pad?

> I recently bought an AMD K6/233, and I'm still looking for a cooler
> which will keep it cool enough.  Today I got a thing double the size
> of the last (well-dimensioned) one, and mounted it.  It look bovine
> rc564 3 minutes to overheat the processor.
>
> I'm wondering what to do next.  Both this cooler (which claims a
> thermal resistance of 0.8°C/W) and the previous one have a pad stuck
> on to the processor side, presumably in order to facilitate heat
> transfer.  What's the best way to use this?  Should I use thermal
> grease anyway?  Should I use it instead?  Any other bright ideas?

Neither the pad nor the grease are very good conductors of heat. The
idea is to get the aluminum heatsink as close to the ceramic CPU as
possible without gaps. The pad is supposed to fill these gaps without
the mess of the grease.

If the problem really is overheating a real K6/233, then I would start
by removing the pad (because its thicker than most any grease layer a
resonable person would apply) and using the thinest layer of heat sink
goop you can. Apply/remove the heatsink a time or two to make sure you
are wetting the whole thing.

Lately I've been using a "Heat Sink Pen" from Radio Shack, Cat No:
64-4342. $5 or $6. Shake well before using. Bleed it on a throw away
surface until it flows white stuff. Silicon Free (should I care?) Unlike
tube heat sink compound (which is like toothpaste) this stuff is very
wet so it goes on thin. Had no troubles reading "Pentium Pro" thru the
layer I used yet on first removal of my heat sink it was plain that both
surfaces were wetted.

Decided to overclock my PPro-166/512k. 200MHz worked. 233MHz worked,
ran it for 30 minutes before trying 266, which didn't boot. Set it back
to 200 and that was:

nospam: {278} uptime
 6:46PM  up 38 days, 22:03, 3 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.02, 1.04
nospam: {279}

38.9 days ago. Crunching RC5-64 and now DES-II the whole time.

Am not sure if the heatsink/fan I bought with the CPU & MB from
http://www.atipa.com was unusually large or not. Its the biggest fan
and heatsink I've seen.