Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:06:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> If what you mean is that you'd like the configure-scripts for XFCE to work,
> then complain to the author.  His autoconf-script doesn't probe deep enough.

My favourite autoconf scripts are the ones that don't probe
deeply enough.  For any potential autoconf-script-writers out
there, I happen to think the best scripts only do minimal to
reasonable probing, but they do check for all needed
capabilities.  They provide a method to override everything and
anything they probe.  They also fail with a helpful message if
something such as the missing library -lxforms or headers can't
be found.

> > Based on security testing needs, and desire, I'd
> > like to not be convinced to replace FreeBSD with either Linux or Solaris
> > x86 (both of which I also use everyday).
>
> "Threats" won't get you anywhere.

Email is always so open to interpretation.  I originally read
this as a compliment towards FreeBSD.  I no longer read it at
all, however.

> > I would like an easier alternative to adding packages to FreeBsd.
>
> 'An easier alternative'?  Than either of (1) selecting a package from a
> menu, and (2) cd /usr/ports/x11/xfce && make install ?

I agree with Sue and would like an easier alternative, too.
There are actually a lot of things I would like.  :)  Something
that throws up a nicely organized list of "What would you like to
do today?", and responds to keyword queries with both appropriate
categories (having something less than the weighty list of ports
existing categories do) and individual port suggestions.  This
utilility could cough up URLs associated with the port, and
handle everything from one interface.  Something like an improved
and refined version of msmith's `pib' backed by an equally
improved and refined ports system.

[Not to suggest that pib is in any way deficient! :-]

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names