Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:14:59 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Epson Stylus C65

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 20:01, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried to make this non-Postscript printer work on FreeBSD
> without success. It is connected by USB and appears as '/dev/ulpt0'.
>
> I have tried 'apsfilter' with Gimp-Print drivers for Epson Stylus C64,
> but it only printed some ',' characters at the left.
>
> I remember it worked with a Knoppix Linux live CD, where I selected the
> printer from the KDE printer setup (with CUPS). I don't know what filter
> it was using (Gimp-Print, Foomatic, etc.). Also in FreeBSD I dind't see
> the same long list of printers (probably they weren't from CUPS, but
> added from elsewhere, like Foomatic or Gimp-Print).
>
> What can I do to make it work?
>
> Thanks and Best Regards,
> Ale

I had a good bit of trouble with the very similar C86.  Google for the
DeviceModel parameter values if these don't work with a C65. You need to
install ijsgimpprint, of course. At present, my etc/printcap file says:

lp|C86:\
  :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
  :if=/home/mike/bin/C86-filter:\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
  :mx#0\
  :sh:

and my home-grown filter contains:
#!/bin/sh

TMP=/tmp/C86.tmp
PS=/tmp/C86.ps

cat >$TMP
ch1=`head -1 $TMP | cut -c 1`
if [ "$ch1" = '%' ]
then
 # echo "Postscript"
 cat $TMP >$PS
else
  # echo "Text"
  /usr/local/bin/enscript -B -q -p - $TMP >$PS
fi

# InkType=CMYK, RGB are valid
cat $PS | /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=ijs \
   -sIjsServer=/usr/local/bin/ijsgimpprint \
   -sDeviceManufacturer=EPSON  \
   -sDeviceModel=escp2-c84 \
   -sIjsParams=Quality=720x360sw,InkType=CMYK,MediaType=Plain \
   -dIjsUseOutputFD \
   -q \
   -dNOPAUSE \
   -dBATCH \
   -sOutputFile=- -

# MUST delete them, or subsequent jobs may have trouble
rm -f $TMP,$PS

This is not what you would call polished software - the minute I got it
to work, I stopped fiddling with it.  It does at least do the job.