Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DPT problem with new boot.flp

Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 11-Aug-97 you wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 11-Aug-97 you wrote:
> > >
> > >   I'm having a problem with the new boot.flp from
> > > sendero-ppp.i-connect:/crash/.  Basically, sysinstall hangs during
> > > newfs'ing rsd0s1e.  I turned debugging on, and the last line
> displayed
> > > was:
> > >
> > > DEBUG: Executing command `newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rsd0s1e'
> > >

> > >   I can still switch consoles, so it isn't completely hung, but ^C
> and
> > > CTRL-ALT-DEL do nothing.
> > >
> > >   I used "auto" during the label step, to setup a stock filesystem
> > > layout.
> > >
> > >   I'm using this with a PM334UW on PPro 200 motherboard with 5 4GB
> drives
> > > setup as RAID-5 array.
> >
> > Which P6 motherboard?  What version of the driver is on that floppy?
> > i have not updated a boot floppy in a long time...
>
>   It is ASUS P6 motherboard.  I don't recall the model, but it one that
> uses a CPU daughtercard.

Try to find out for me.

>   The DPT driver on the floppy claims to be 1.1.2

Ancient.  Get a new boot floppy from sendero-ppp.  Should support driver
1.1.10.

>   Another point, that I'm not sure was clear from my original message, is
> this sysinstall newfs's partitions backwards, so it completly newsfs'ed
> rsd0s1f (a 16GB /usr filesystem), then hangs on newfs'ing rsd0s1e (a
> 30MB /var filesystem).

Older versions of the driver were very sensitive to timing problems on the
PCI bus.  Newer ones are better and we are still working with DPT to
isolate the problem.  Anyway, version 1.1.10, wit hthe proper options will
handle most motherboards just fine.

Simon