Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:09:58 +1300
From:      Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Third Party Patches that link to OpenSSL

Hello

I've written an OpenSSL plugin for gaim that allows gaim to use the
OpenSSL libraries that come installed with FreeBSD.  Gaim is a GPL
application, OpenSSL is BSD licensed, and apparently there are license
issues to deal with as a result.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

They've said that unless the gaim project sanctions the use of OpenSSL
with their code, that I should not release the code.  Apparently that
would require contacting all of the prior developers to get their
permission.

Is this the case, or can I safely release a third party patch that gaim
does not depend on to run or compile?  The maintainer of gaim on FreeBSD
is quite keen to use the patch.

Matthew