Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:12:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Mark Murray had
to walk into mine and say:

> Stephen McKay wrote:
> > In fact, I'm now so keen on my hypothesis that I've written some code.
> > Unfortunately, I have no -current box to test it on.  Thus, if Mr Murry
> > wishes to risk all, the following patch may help.
> >
> > ** WARNING **   I have done no testing at all on this patch.   ** WARNING **
> >

> > --- support.s	Tue Jan 21 11:48:00 1997
> > +++ support.s.new	Tue Jan 21 19:43:35 1997
>
> It works! You are brilliant, sir!

I'll say. I would never have figured this out unless somebody shoved
at least a dozen i386 assembly language programming books into my head.
(Contrary to popular opinion, my head isn't that big. :)

> I have no more portmap bombing out, and ypbind is no longer giving these
> bogus "bad address" turds.
>
> Excellent!

I applied both patches to test machine in my office. Near as I can tell,
it's had no ill effects. As I expected, I didn't see the EFAULTs after I
loaded the 3.0 SNAP, but then again I haven't really tried to start it
thrashing. I contemplated dusting off the corpse of my previous test box
(an AMD 386/40) to see if I maybe the cruftier CPU could force the
condition out into the open; now I'm glad that's no longer necessary. :)

Okay. Does somebody else want to check this stuff over and commit it to
-current (and 2.2 I would think)? I can do it but I don't know what the
hell I'm looking at.

-Bill