Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2006 03:42:05 -0700
From:      soralx@cydem.org
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of NetBSD

> soralx@cydem.org writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > > You're tilting at windmills.  I don't know of any OS that
> > > automatically starts playing a movie when you insert the DVD.  What
> > > usually happens is simply that the movie player application pops up;
> > > you still have to press play to start the movie.
> > Now you really confused me %) Is there a possible benefit of doing that?
> > Anyone can type, say, `mplayer dvd://` + any needed options, faster than
> > the media is even recognized by a DVD-ROM.
>
> I'll bet you a dime to a dollar your grandma can't.

No, thanks, I'll pass on your bet. But... Grandma? Interfacing to a
COMPUTER?? Through a keyboard??? (e.g., without a remote-control) Come on,
what's the probability of this happening?
Of course, it is _possible_. However, for such rare occasions it's easier
just to install something not unlike KDE, and create a link ('shortcut' it
is termed, I believe) named 'Wath_a_movie' which executes the above
mentioned command. Then no-one will need to mess around with finding where
'Play' is :p  Wouldn't this be simpler too, compared to making the OS to
detect when a DVD was swallowed, etc (although, if I'm not mistaken,
it's easy, now that we have GEOM). Simple and reliable.

> DES

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2