Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:15:41 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Bill Arnold <barn@barn.alaska.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com> wrote:
> >  - make no assumptions about prior knowledge (or state them up front)
> >  - contain no errors
> >  - relevant to my system (FreeBSD)
> >  - relevant to my configuration (e.g. describes the same shell)
> >  - easy to understand, good pace
> >  - explain concepts as well as how-to
> >  - demonstrate how to use the concepts to expand on learned skills
> >  - show how what is learned can be put into daily use
> >  - make me feel confident, not stupid
> >  - suggest where to go to learn more
> >
> > Anything else?
>

> 	-Show hands on examples, i.e. ls shows directory, ls-l gives
>  	permissions, date of creation, etc.
> 	-user friendly explaninations of man pages or concepts on man
> 	pages
> 	-good index that cross referances topics
> 	-an explanation of files, what they do and why the're there.
> 	-explains 'common knowledge' things, i.e. I've never seen a
> 	referance to a .forward .signature or .plan file
>
> 						Rick

For me (as a nearly clueless *nix'er) the "big picture" is the hard part. I'm
writing this on my Linux box, could as easily sent it with my FreeBSD box, but
somehow, I still don't don't quite get the "macro" view.
For example, I know sendmail reads /etc/hosts, and waits a long time if it isn't
right, and I know that /etc/resolv.conf relates to this whole thing, as does
bind (DNS), but I still don't understand at all what file calls (or reads, or
whatever) what file, never mind in exactly what order.
I know that the man pages explain all that, but I also know they explain it only
to those who already know. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I have a hard time
remembering all the details (of jillions) concerning any given program. Then,
when trying to learn a "new" one, and it refers to three other "new" ones, and
each makes different assumptions about my prior experience, it can get tough.
Worse, the switches used in each one can effect the function of any other, as
they (more or less) rely on each other.
As I use this stuff more and more, I like it better and better, and find the man
pages much better than "help" pages elsewhare. But there is a funny thing about
prior experience that is a tough nut to crack.
-BA