Date:      06 Jul 2002 13:39:46 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing perl in make world

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 13:29, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:45:41AM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> > I think we should add a target to make world that checks for the
> > existence of an old base install of Perl and removes it if it exists.
> >
> > As a general principle, if we do things like remove code during -current
> > development then make world needs to cater for that change. The idea of
> > make world is that what you get at the end of it is a pristine install
> > of a snapshot of FreeBSD from the current branch.
> >
> > The bootstrap target was originally added for this purpose, to deal with
> > issues during releases i.e. to bootstrap from one version of current to
> > another. It's got misunderstood along the way to mean bootstrapping
> > tools needed early in the build process.
> >
> > I'd like to resurrect it's original meaning and add code to clean out
> > old versions of Perl.
> >
> I strongly object to this unless we clearly define the procedure of
> deleting the old stuff like libraries, headers, programs, etc.
> I routinely do the cleanup by installing the world into a separate
> DESTDIR, and comparing it with what is available under /.  I don't
> see a major problem with this except maybe a space.  Another approarch
> is to compare the modification times with the current date; this
> works almost ok for all things except headers and (now) static
> libraries plus some miscellaneous stuff that is getting installed
> with -C.

You need to catch up with the rest of this thread, since I think we're
moving towards something more acceptable.

However, in the particular case of Perl, I think it does highlight a
slightly separate issue in that our build process has no concept of
deprecating parts of the OS.

The 'sysclean' target will "accidentally" deal with the Perl issue, but
I don't think it's wrong to have a target remove a module that has been
removed from source since that's what installing the system should
really do if the system has opted to deprecate something.

--
Paul Richards                   |
FreeBSD Services Ltd            | Order 4.6 on DVD now.