Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:39:38 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpart inside jails

On 2016-06-16 11:23, Norbert Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for creating freebsd boot flash media for embedded devices
> I use mdconfig/gpart.
>
> Recently I put my 32-bit build machines into a jail under a 64-bit machine.
> This is my configuration:
>
> Host: FreeBSD-10.3/amd64
> Jail1: FreeBSD-9.1/i386
> Jail2: FreeBSD-10.3/i386
> Jail3: FreeBSD-10.3/amd64
>
> If I jexec gpart status I get this:
>  Jail1: segmentation fault
>  Jail2: segmentation fault
>  Jail3: correct result as seen under host system
>
> So, this is obviously a 32/64 bit issue. Any idea?
>
> Thank you,
> Norbert Koch

You might want to look at:

makefs(8): create a ufs filesystem in a file, from a directory tree or
mtree file. This allows you to avoid mdconfig, and can be done as a
non-root user.

mkimg(8): create a disk or VM (vmdk, vdi, qcow2, raw, etc) image from
one or more file systems. Allows you to create the partitions and load
the boot code etc. This allows you to avoid gpart, and can be done as a
non-root user.

Re: why it crashes: I am guessing the kernel interface between gpart and
geom_part.ko is not 32/64 safe or something. Someone else with a better
informed opinion may be able to help you resolve the issue. Maybe the
above workarounds will help.

--
Allan Jude