Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:59:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Dan Swartzendruber <druber@kersur.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

:We were talking about invariants, which document the conditions which
:nearby code expect and/or cause.  To actually check these conditions
:in a production system is a waste of CPU power; their function is to
:define for the developers precisely what the expected outcome of a
:particular operation is, so that new bugs are not introduced when code
:is modified.
:
:-GAWollman
:
:--
:Garrett A. Wollman   | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same

    I would not characterize the use of invariants in production kernels
    as being a waste of cpu power... I'm sure there are many people who
    are more interested in data integrity then in performance.  The use of
    inviariants can conceivably catch a problem early that might otherwise
    corrupt the system later.  On the otherhand, the speeddaemons might not
    want either the invariants or the standard sanity checks, in which case
    they do not turn on invariant support and they do turn on MAX_PERF ( which
    gets rid of most of the standard sanity checks ).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>