Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:05:44 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrade 3.4 to 4.0

>: I hate to keep asking you questions, but like.. I cant login to the
>: machine in single-user mode.. it's a co-located box.. is there a way to
>: get around the things you have to do in single-user mode?
>
>You can do it in multi-user mode.  But any services that may be
>running on the machine at time are going to be screwed up
>potentially.  Since you are rebooting right away, it likely won't
>batter.

Really? Cool!  So, potentially, I can manually shut down all the daemon
services (except sshd!) and do the 'make installworld' while still in
multiuser mode?

>However, you need to make sure that you have a way to boot
>hte old kernel if bad things happen with the new one..

Well, I got bit by the ad driver's dislike of my old P90's IDE controller,
so maybe remote upgrades aren't so good for major version updates...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern