Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2019 09:39:20 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Permissions when moving storage devices between hosts

Not sure if this is an issue with FreeBSD, freebsd-arm or *nix in general.

I'm having what look like throughput problems with a microSD card on a
Raspberry Pi3b running -current. Things like svnlite update, tar and make
install seem to take forever, if one watches gstat the queue length hops
wildly from zero to hundreds sometimes. At other times the queue stays
short and throughput looks reasonable.

As a test, I used benchmarks/bonnie to run a test on the card, writing
a log file to the card. Next, I moved the microSD card to a usb/microSD
adapter and plugged it into an Rpi2b host running stable/12, mounting it
on /mnt

The plan was to re-run the bonnie test on the second host to see if the
choice of host made much difference. Alas, after mounting the card, all
owners/groups are freebsd/freebsd and I can't get permission to write
any files, at least as a regular user. The usernames are the same on
both hosts and I'm hesitant to try mucking about with ownerships.
It does not seem possible to simply add world-write permissions to the
test directory using chmod +w as root.

It seems there must be a way to do the experiment, but perhaps there's
a better way. The goal is merely to determine if the card's gone bad
or something else is wrong. It's a Samsung Evo + 128GB, a few months
old and worth enough that I don't want to blindly replace it.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska