Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2011 18:00:56 -0800
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <dhesser@accima.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, dhesser@accima.com
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA (port) driver fails to create /dev/nvidactl; 8.2Prerelease

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:40:06 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't seen an answer to the question of
> whether you've kldload'ed the nvidia module. When you type 'kldstat'
> does the nvidia module show up in the list? If not, type 'kldload
> nvidia' and try again.

You missed it, but it wasn't your fault.  I hit the wrong reply button
on may mailer, and the list was thus not included in the reply.  Sorry
about that.

I 'have' exercised the "kldload" and "kldstat" commands so often in the
past few days that I'm wearing out the 'k' key on a brand new keyboard.

The 'nvidia' module IS loaded.  I have loaded it manually and I have
modified loader.conf to do it for me on reboot. I have compiled the
driver port with and without acpi, with and without FreeBSD agp support,
and I have recompiled my kernel to remove 'agp' when compiling the
port with nvidia "internal" agp support.

If you missed the original post, I have uploaded files which answer
this question and just about any you might want to ask about my system.
The files were upladed to my ISP's member website and if you are
interested, you can see them at

http://accima.com/members/dhesser/fbsd8.2P-nvidia-driver/

I would like to make it plausible that I might know what I'm doing,
at least enough to check that a module I'm having trouble with has
been loaded, by pointing out that I have been running freebsd
versions since the fall of 1996.  I've installed, managed, designed
and otherwise dealt with about 90% of the unix/hardware combinations
which have existed over the past 30+ years.  I have read this (and
several other freebsd lists) EVERY DAY since about September of
that year.  I realize that questions such as 'have you kldloaded..."
are asked in a helpful spirit, and I don't expect you to be unduly
impressed by my resume, but perhaps you will understand if I find
such questions mildly insulting...*anyone* repeatedly failing to
load a troublesome module must be too busy wiping drool from his
chin to post messages to these lists. I am aware that installed
modules must be loaded, and I have recently learned that I must
zip up my pants *every time* I put them on.  I remember, too, most
of the time.

I want to be sure, at this point, that *you* do not take umbrage
at what I have written...it would not be the first time that someone
took offense (at something I said) where none is intended.

I continue to insist that there is a significant regression in
the stable code, and I would be much happier if the responses
indicated some concern about that by those who might be responsible.

No one has even noticed yet that the stable sources are uncompilable
again, for the second time in as many weeks.  Insulting someone
without even reading their message seems...unrewarding.  But maybe
not.

You may not have expected "War and Peace" as a reply to your question,
but I am currently attempting to sort out in my  mind the need to
abandon FreeBSD, and these musings may help to sort things out for
me...thanks for listening.  A switch to some other OS (probably NetBSD)
would be a big step for me, but I currently have two machines for
which FreeBSD is unable to provide display drivers which will
accomodate my needs, and I need to start *using* the machines...in
addition, the steady drift of FreeBSD away from unix and toward
linux has had me thinking about switching for some time.

There is one thing for which you and the rest of the lists can be
thankful...I will never again post to a freebsd mailing list,
either to offer or ask for help.  Some of the noxious, egocentric,
and arrogant replies I have received (not yours) to my original email
have completely sated my appetite for childish drivel.

Thanks again for your interst, Doug.
--
Duane H. Hesser <dhesser@accima.com>