Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:09:38 +0900
From:      Yoichi NAKAYAMA <yoichi@eken.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Joao Schim <joao@bowtie.nl>, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Subject:   Re: Checksum mismatch for netscape-remote

At Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:24:06 +1000,
Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:08:01PM +0900, Yoichi NAKAYAMA wrote:
> > Since you fetched files from FreeBSD mirror site,
> > checksum matches trivially. The problem is that
> > those files cannot be fetched by fetch with -A option.
>
> Trivially? Not really.
> The checksum is generated manually by the maintainer of the port,
> not by anything else.

That's right, and distfile mirror consists of files which are checked
to match with distinfo. So if you fetch files from FreeBSD mirror sites,
they match with distinfo (or possibly with the past version of distinfo
in general).

At Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:49:33 +0200,
Joao Schim wrote:
> Thanks for helping out. I removed the files from the distfiles
> repository and tried again.
>
> Here's the output:
>
> hume# rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles/netscape-remote
> hume# cvs update
> cvs server: Updating .
> cvs server: Updating files
> hume# make
> >> remote.c doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/netscape-remote.
> >> Attempting to fetch from http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/.
> fetch: remote.c: Moved Temporarily
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/netscape-remote/.
> fetch: remote.c: size of remote file is not known
> Receiving remote.c: 19270 bytes
> 19270 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds (1.82 MBps)
> >> vroot.h doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/netscape-remote.
> >> Attempting to fetch from http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/.
> fetch: vroot.h: Moved Temporarily
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/netscape-remote/.
> fetch: vroot.h: size of remote file is not known
> Receiving vroot.h: 5049 bytes
> 5049 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds (3.91 MBps)
> ===>  Extracting for netscape-remote-1.0_1
> >> Checksum mismatch for netscape-remote/remote.c.
> >> Checksum mismatch for netscape-remote/vroot.h.
> Make sure the Makefile and distinfo file (/usr/ports/www/netscape-remote/distinfo)
> are up to date.  If you are absolutely sure you want to override this
> check, type "make NO_CHECKSUM=yes [other args]".
> *** Error code 1
>
> Maybe fetch's "size of remote file is not known" has something to do
> with it..
>
> Anyway i think I'll go for the NO_CHECKSUM anyway, the code seems to be ok.

Hmm, as I and Edwin checked, ftp.FreeBSD.org actually possesses
files with correct checksum...
--
Yoichi Nakayama