Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:07:34 -0700
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Terry Brady <bradyt@choiceconnect.com.au>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apples and oranges? FreeBSD and MacOSX

At 07:05 PM 7/22/98 -0700, Sean Harding wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Sue Blake wrote:
>
>> If you are going to install some unix system now, you couldn't get anything
>> closer than FreeBSD to do the task well. Some parts of your learning will be
>
>This is true of free distributions, but if you go commercial,
>OPENSTEP/NeXTSTEP is *far* closer to Rhapsody/MacOS X Server than FreeBSD
>is ever likely to be.

Um, forgive me if I'm clue-deprived here, but I thought MacOS X
was a strategy for backing away from Rhapsody for desktop machines.
>From my reading, it was to be a revved up MacOS on which developers
could count on a subset of the former APIs being executed in a
preemptive multitasking, memory protected environment. Basically,
most of what Copeland was to have been. I didn't think there was
any Unix involved, although it would make sense to use what they
have. Does anyone know for sure that I'm wrong?

-j