Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:25:01 -0400
From:      kwc@world.std.com (Kenneth W Cochran)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.5 w/DPT hba

>From tom@sdf.com  Wed Oct 22 19:19:17 1997
>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Tom <tom@sdf.com>

>> >After installing, simply boot and use the fixit disk, and copy the
>> >kenerl.GENERIC from ftp.i-connect.net to /kernel, and boot up.  At this
>> >point, you should build a new kernel from scratch using the 2.2.5
>> >source, and apply the dpt patch.
>>
>> *That's* the problem; I can get a fixit up & running but can't get
>> tne dpt-enabled kernel to where it needs to be.  Ftp won't work (so
>> far) from fixit mode either...
>
>Well, you need to mount up the root partition:  mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
>You need to configured the ethernet device to get FTP to work:  ifconfig
>ed0 1.2.3.4
>You probably need a default route for the network:  route add default
>5.6.7.8
>Tom

Done.  & ftp worked (yaaay!)  (although I had to use the numeric
ip-address, since dns wasn't up... no problem...)
But...
I *still* get "Read error" when trying to boot off hd.
I don't even get a "boot:" prompt so I could run userconfig.
I also don't get "missing operating system."  Wierd.  (Or is it?)
Looks like I don't have bootblocks(?)  Any special incantation to
try, now that I should have a usable kernel (kernel.dpt from
ftp.i-connect.net/crash/kernel.dpt)?
Could runnig in "dangerously dedicated" mode have anything to
do with this?  For this machine, I have no need to share w/other
OSes.

Update...
I can boot off the boot floppy by specifying 0:sd(0,a)kernel,
thus "forcing" the boot off the hd & things work fine(!)
Looks indeed like something is missing from my hd setup...
Idea(s)?

Further update...
Well, they don't work so fine... :-(
I'm booting by starting with the floppy & specifying
0:sd(0,a)kernel.DPT
at the prompt & that gets the system to boot off the hd
but I'm getting error messages from dpt0 of the following form:

dpt0 ERROR: Stale 7001 (Write (10) [6.1.18]) on c0b0t0u0 (199739226)
        gets another chance(2/5)

(not quite the message, but it's scrolling & similar)
Also I can't exit the shell or shutdown, so I have to
hard-reset, fsck and hope for the best...

I did a minimal install (just so I could get *something* up) &
thus far /stand/sysinstall won't run (so I can get, among other
things, kernel sources & dpt-related patches).  I'm in the 2.2.5
flavor of things...  (except for this new boot, which is
3.0-ish) Am I going to have to hose this project & use Linux
instead?  While BSDI works just fine w/DPT I don't have the
option of installing it in this case...

Many thanks,
-kc