Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:44:54 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        gee2@realtime.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

> For a fraction of the cost of yahu (yet another hardware upgrade)
> we purchased better software.  The result?  I'm using Dnews, a
> commercial software package costing less than $500... and my
> hardware appears idle.  I pull in about 2 megabits average on this
> machine, yet the load remains very low, and the filesystem has
> plenty of idle cycles.  This machine has the appearance of doing
> a fraction of the work my old INN workhorse was doing.

This is probably not the best place to discuss the various types of
News software. But let me just mention that at a customer of mine
(a large Norwegian ISP) is basically throwing out Dnews (running on
BSD/OS boxes), and replacing it with Diablo and Typhoon (running on
FreeBSD boxes) due to all of the problems they've had with Dnews.
Dnews may be a good choice in some situations, but clearly not in
all situations. As always, YMMV.