Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:19:54 -0800
From:      GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   clarity on password crypt

Since I have been having problems with my passwd files on upgrades from
2.2.8 to 3.1 but not on upgrades from 3.0 to 3.1 I wanted to clear a few
things up.  What style of crypt is listed here;

root:6rKXEwLNbIiSw:0:0::0:0:root?:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash

And what style of crypt has the $1$ in the password field and is about
twice as long?

Which one of these is default?  Because all my old machines 2.2.7, 2.2.8
etc have the style that I listed above, including my 3.0 machines.  When I
went from 3.0 -> 3.1 nothing changed.  When I went from 2.2.8 -> 3.1 it
changed and my passwords like the one listed above dont work now.

Any help is greatly appriciated, I'd hate to have to enter thousands of
users passwords in.

GVB